Kids will absolutely LOVE this scooter board obstacle course or “Christmas Car Wash”. Lie down on your tummy and propel yourself forward through the tunnels of tinsel!
Collect the gift bows to put on the presents waiting for you at the end of the car wash!
As you come across the a gift bow, pick it up, then push up your arms to place the bow under your chest. This requires upper body and arm strength as well as weight shifting from one arm to the next, strengthening the shoulder girdle and core muscles (trunk, back and abdominals)
Your child will enjoy this motor planning challenge as he or she figures out how to move forward using their arms as well as sequencing multiple steps to collect the items as they propel through the car wash
Other ways to play
- Crawl through the tunnel
- Spread the tunnels farther apart for a longer car wash
- Upper extremity weight bearing
- Core strength
- Motor planning
- Tactile tolerance for light touch on the back while navigating through the tunnels
To increase the Challenge
- Use the arms only to self-propel.
- Lengthen or shorten the distance from start to finish.
- Add 10+ objects to pick up (10 repetitions)
To Modify and Make It Easier
- Shorten the distance.
- Have fewer objects to pick up.
- Allow the child to push with both hands and feet while lying on their tummy. Or self-propel with hands while sitting in a kneeling/quadraped position.
- Allow the child to crawl through the tunnels, notice if they are crawling using reciprocal movements. Are they using reciprocal movements by alternating opposite arm and leg (this is what we want)? Or are they crawling with the same side (right arm and right leg) at the same side to propel forward?