Today’s your lucky day to learn how to make this precious Pot O’Gold Cookie Craft.
Your kids will think they’ve hit the jackpot when they create this leprechaun sized treat!
Here’s what you’ll need for 1 cookie
- 1 sandwich cookie (e.g. Oreo)
- Airheads Extreme Rainbow candy strip
- 1 Rolo candy
- White Frosting and green food coloring
- Tools: Dull knife or spreader (great for little hands)
STEP 1: Spread the frosting smoothly to cover the top of the cookie.
STEP 2: Place the Rolo in the center of the cookie.
STEP 3. Cut the airhead strip into thirds.
STEP 4. Bend the rainbow over the Rolo candy.
STEP 5. Add frosting clouds to the sides of the rainbow.
A Leprechaun sized Pot O’Gold Cookie!
- Fine motor: This craft requires bilateral hand coordination, such as holding scissors to cut with one hand while stabilizing the candy strip with the other hand. Squeezing the frosting bag is good for strengthening the hands and practicing how to grade the amount of force used. Squeeze the frosting bag too hard and too much comes out, too little and your clouds will look deflated.
- Utensil use: Spreading the frosting is great practice and will come in handy when it’s time to pack sandwiches for lunch!
To increase the challenge
- Have the child mix up their own frosting.
- Make multiple cookies for repetition and skills practice
- Consider subbing ingredients to make it dairy and gluten free. The Airheads contain wheat.
- Make your own homemade frosting and cookies.
- Use this as feeding therapy game, experimenting with different textures to improve tactile tolerance for wet or sticky textures (e.g. frosting, sticky candy, sugar crystals).